English is considered an extremely important language in today’s times. The demand is very high as English is a language that most of the countries speak. It is also a language widely used in India, where the other regional languages have a wide variety. In most situations when people do not know other languages, English is the most common one that is used.
Therefore, it is necessary to know the English language and to excel in it. Nowadays, when the young population prefers to study outside India, in universities abroad, it becomes essential that the students have deep knowledge about the English language. The entrance tests or competitive exams in the future, not only for the universities situated abroad but also in India have exams or sections in exams that specifically test English.
Apart from testing English skills in colleges and universities, genuinely studying about it more, improves the vocabulary and versatility of a student. Nobody minds knowing one more language so properly that you are fluent and confident with it.
The Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF) conducts the International English Olympiad (IEO) every year for students to prove their proficiency in the English language and learn more about it. They provide an enriching experience with the Olympiad that has two levels. Once, children clear the first level, they move to the second level. The Olympiad makes the students compete with students who have a level similar to that of those. The Olympiad takes place nationally and internationally, increasing the exposure and knowledge of students.
Students taking the English Olympiad in Class 7 are required to have a basic understanding of grammar and sentence structure. Class 7 is seen as a pivotal point in a student’s life, which is why the course material is divided into pieces. Olympiad examinations provide students a competitive advantage over their peers and give them the confidence to attempt school exams.
The list of skills learned in class 7 serves as the foundation for the student’s academic careers in the years ahead. The syllabus for the English Olympiad test in class 7 is based on the specified rules of several boards. It caters to the syllabus of ICSE, CBSE, and State boards, depending on which board your school refers to. As a result, the focus of the online Olympiad exam for class 7 is on improving grammatical skills. Students learn sentence patterns and must determine whether a statement is declarative, interrogative, imperative, or exclamatory. They must also determine the subject and predicate of a sentence.
The grammar in the English language is very vast. Some English words have their roots going back to Greek and Latin. To become a master in this subject, it is advised that students must attempt IEO English Olympiad Previous Year Question Paper Class 7 2013 and other papers that are available.
The syllabus for the International English Olympiad (IEO) is Word power, Degree of Comparison, Clauses, Infinitive, Participle and Gerund, Modal and Auxiliary Verbs, Voices and Speeches, Tenses, Transformation of Sentences, Grammar Exercise, Composition, Sequencing, Comprehension, Idioms and Proverbs and Logical Reasoning.
Some of the tips that can help you ace the IEO are:
- Read books and newspapers: It is crucial to read some books and newspapers, especially the editorial columns to improve your vocabulary and reading skills. The concentration and attention span must be good in order to give an Olympiad, IEO requires reading skills when it comes to reading comprehensions and long paragraphs. Reading books and newspapers also proves to be good generally to improve knowledge.
- Make a schedule: Students require giving time to so many tasks and have many responsibilities. Preparing for an Olympiad demands a well-organized study schedule. As a result, students must design an Olympiad preparation schedule that includes the curriculum, key chapters, and difficult concepts that require additional study time. If students have a decent timetable, they will be able to devote additional time to each course and topic. They should also keep a margin and include all the other things that are to be done.
- Do not take stress: Exams cause a lot of anxiety among students, who are worried about how well they will perform. In order to acquire and grasp all of the information, it is critical to exercise frequently and keep your mind fresh. Sometimes, when people keep on studying without any breaks, the brain gets tired and is not able to absorb more information. This also leads to fatigue, low concentration, and irritation. Taking breaks and keeping yourself healthy is as much important as studying.
- Ask for Help: The teachers in school have great knowledge about the subject, if a student is stuck in any concept or has any kind of queries, he/she can always ask the teacher for help. The teachers are always happy to help their students.
- Solve sample and previous year’s question papers: To gain confidence and manage time in between the Olympiad it is necessary to solve the sample papers and previous year’s question papers. It is better to start by a clock and be time-bound when giving a paper to know where and how much you need to improve. Afterward, the students must cross-check with solutions and mark themselves to correct the mistakes and learn from them so it does not get repeated in the future.
- Use the internet: The internet can be efficiently used in a good way rather than as a distraction or harm. I searched, there can be found thousands of study materials online that could help for the exam. Moreover, if a student is confused about any topic or wants to study but has no means, there are always videos available on the internet. Students can study and clear their doubts free of cost.
English is an essential language for students to learn and improvise upon because it not only acts as a medium for communication but also is present as a subject, section, and exam for many entrances and competitive exams. The Science Olympiad Foundation conducts IEO, the International English Olympiad which helps the students to test and learn in a better manner.